August 25, 2007

Mother Teresa, The Fake Christian

Mother Teresa is often held aloft by the noisy religious as evidence that religion equals morality, Even though they usually other hold aloft other people and seldom point to their own works of charity to prove this.

There is no mistake, Mother Teresa had tried hard to help people and she did say she was a christian, But as we all know, Saying something and doing something are two very different things.

While her outward appearance was very religious and an appearance that was designed to portrait someone who completely believes in god, her personal writings show a very agnostic person who has nothing but questions.
"Lord, my God, you have thrown [me] away as unwanted - unloved," she wrote in one missive. "I call, I cling, I want, and there is no one to answer, no, no one. Alone. Where is my faith? even deep down right in there is nothing. I have no faith. I dare not utter the words and thoughts that crowd in my heart."

She added: "I am told God loves me, and yet the reality of the darkness and coldness and emptiness is so great that nothing touches my soul. Did I make a mistake in surrendering blindly to the Call of the Sacred Heart?"

She even compared her problems to hell and admitted that she had begun to doubt the existence of heaven and God.

"The smile," she wrote, "is a mask or a cloak that covers everything. I spoke as if my very heart was in love with God, a tender personal love. If you were there you would have said, 'What hypocrisy'."


This raises some very interesting questions. If Mother Teresa was able to do such good work even though she had "no faith" will this finally put to rest the unfounded claim by the religious that without religion man would have no morality? And secondly, How many other so called "christians" are simply paying lip service? How many other people, Especially politicians, Are simply claiming to have a belief in the invisible man in the sky when their actual belief is one of agnosticism, Or even better, Atheism.

I have read a number of people claiming that this was nothing more than a crisis of faith, A time when Mother Teresa was questioning her beliefs, A blip if you will. I prefer to see it as a revelation of reality.

2 comments:

  1. Interesting post. I think I'll link to my own post about the woman, when I figure out how.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Friend, if you read the bible well enough...You'll find that almost all of the prophets had doubts in their minds...This is just a condition when you're faced with a lot of pressure...In a lot of writings about King David, he would question God...But because he had doubts once in a while didn't mean that he was an agnostic.....

    ReplyDelete